2010年9月30日木曜日

My old enemies

My old enemies, ankle pain and knee pain, were back this morning. I thought about the road ahead, where I would take public transportation wherever possible, but would still have to walk a great deal. I thought about the long stretches with no buses or trains in western Shikoku, and the mountains I would have to climb in Ehime and Kagawa. I imagined myself at the top of a mountain in the middle of nowhere, finding that my knee was in too much pain to descend, but going down anyway and feeling my IT band snap. In the end I decided to call it quits. I took a bus back home again, and decided to return to work next week.

It's frustrating being set back by physical pain, but I learned some lessons for next time. I need shoes with extra-soft "heel counters" (I learned that's what you call the part of the back of the shoe that keeps the heel in the heel box) or sandals with good soles. I might need a knee support or strap to go over my IT band, too.

To stop was a tough decision to make. It's been an incredible journey. It was good meeting so many people, pilgrims and others. Walking 15 miles every day, I feel the healthiest that I've ever felt. The chanting and worshiping at temples was spiritually cleansing. Skinny dipping in pristine mountain streams was fun, too.

After I resolve my ankle and knee problems, I will continue walking on weekends. I'll update this blog again when I do. I hope to someday finish the pilgrimage, and maybe I'll even do it for a second time someday.

I've given it my best shot, and I haven't given up for good. I'll be back!


今朝、「膝の痛み」と「足首の痛み」という宿敵が戻って来ました。それで、これから先の道のことを考えてみました。出来るだけ公共交通を使うつもりですが、それでもたくさん歩かなければなりません。バスや電車がない西四国の道のこと、そして今度登らなければならない、愛媛や香川の高い山のことを考えました。どこか山奥の山上に着いて、膝が痛くなって下れないのに、無理に下って腸脛靱帯を破ってしまう自分を想像しました。結局辞めることにしたのです。


バスに乗って、家に戻って、来週から仕事に戻ることにしたのです。


痛みで挫折するのは嫌ですが、次回のための勉強になりました。踵の後ろが柔らかい靴か、踵がないサンダルがいります。膝サポートもいるかもしれません。


辞めるという決断をするのは難しかったです。今までは素晴らしい旅でした。遍路さんなど、いろんな人に出会えたのは良かったです。毎日20キロ歩いていると、とても健康な気分になります。お寺でお参りしたり、お経を歌ったりすることで、精神が清浄化される気がします。山の中の澄んだ川でスッポンポンで泳ぐのも楽しかったです。


膝と足首の痛みを解決したら、また週末などに歩くつもりです。その時またブログを更新します。いつかお遍路を最後までやり遂げたいし、いつか二度目やるかもしれません。


力のある限り頑張りました。まだ諦めていません。必ずお遍路道に戻って来ます!!

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿