2010年9月11日土曜日

Bus pilgrim

I never thought I would become one of them, but it happened. I've become a bus pilgrim.

Only a small fraction--probably about 1%--of pilgrims actually walk all 1200 kilometers. Most take bus tours, taxis, or drive. It's easy to see why, after having walked for a week.

I'm writing today's entry from the city bus going to temple 21. I just can't walk anymore.

Yesterday was a pleasant walk through woods and fields in rural Tokushima. It was a nice change from the city, and with the new shoes my ankle was fine. Going up the mountain to 21 was another matter, though. My left ACL started hurting, and while I was able to get to the top with the help of my staff and an extra walking stick I grabbed, there was no way I could get down to the other side. I hitchhiked back down and booked a night at an inn, where I ate my camp food and pondered what to do next.

The bus was the only solution. With ice and rest my ACL should be better in a few days; until then I'll take public transportation. It'll be a pleasure cruise. At the next temple I get to take the ropeway up!

The stairs to 20, Kakurinji. I didn't climb them.




1 件のコメント:

  1. Beautiful photo. I hope your knee is feeling better. Go easy on yourself!

    返信削除